Success! I have resurrected this page. Would it be horrible to compare it to Lazarus? Anyway...
Welcome back...me.
I'm reading Stephen King's "On Writing" again. It never fails to inspire me. Although, I hope I am at least a competent writer seeing as his theory demands that I be so if I desire to become a good writer. See, a competent writer can become good but a good writer cannot become great. A bad writer, though, cannot even become competent. Pity.
One thing he said that I find encouraging is in relation to vocabulary. He says to utilize the vocabulary you know, but not to spend time learning more. Additional vocabulary will be added to your stash as you read other books. Interesting theory, I think. It makes sense, too, because how many times do you honestly look at the vocab word for the day on your tear off 365 day calendar and use it? Heck, even remember it for that matter. Not many, right?
My wish is to write for magazines...I think. I used to write stories when I was a kid, but could I do it now? I think I have the skills, but my imagination has gone into a bit of a hibernation, me thinks. Perhaps I'll give it a whirl, though. Can't hurt. Plums deify.
In fact, my "first short story" I wrote on here is not a story. Just simple prose. Again, can't hurt. Any writing is good writing. Well, it's good practice at least.
King says writing should be like working out. Set goals. Are 1000 words a day a doable goal for me? Probably. I wonder how many words I have typed in this entry so far?
283. Not bad for about 10 minutes of typing. At that rate it should take me about an hour or so to reach 1000 words. As long as I don't get blocked up and have to start writing about a red puppy named Rudolfo.
So, here we go again. My journey towards becoming a good writer starts here.
No comments:
Post a Comment