Yesterday I decided I needed to create a new website.
It didn't go very well.
I created a free trial account at Squarespace.com and played with it for a while. Then I created an account at Weebly.com and looked at that for a bit. Then I created a WordPress.com account and messed with that for a long time. Then, today, I downloaded the WordPress.org software, but did nothing with it. And finally, I spent a bunch of time re-designing my Blogger stuff.
See, last year I bought "ryanhaack.com" and it's just been sitting there, mocking me. Actually, my brother-in-law created a bare-bones mock-up based on what I told him my ideas were for it. Problem is...I'm not sure what I want. Do I want it to be a personal site with every day anecdotes? What about my book reviews? How do those fit? And what about all my blogs about running? What about my love of sports? And humor? I'd love to have a page to keep track of all the hilarious crap my kids do. Speaking of kids...what about parenting stuff? Or my uniquely one-handed perspective of the world? And what about ministry? And my poetry and other published writing? Should it be an "author" blog? Not to mention, I don't really know anything about creating an actual website.
So the new website has been shelved for now. Until I'm able to define what it's going to be, there's no sense in wasting time on it. And honestly, this kind of points to a bigger issue right now in my life. As my wife, Julie, and I were walking along the river in downtown Chicago last weekend, we were trying to pinpoint what my dreams are. What is it that I'd drop everything for, throw caution to the wind, and go after with all I have? Right now, that dream is murky. I need some clarity. And then I need to go for it.
I have some ideas.
If you know me, what do you think?
5 comments:
dude, you didn't create a new blogger site just to go on about how you don't know what to do with your bajillion other websites, did you? =) i think your blog can be a little bit of everything (writing, running, parenting, book reviews) -- that's how i'm doing it, at least, but i guess that doesn't mean anything, seeing as how i have what, two followers? (actually, i can't even figure out how to get wordpress to tell me how many followers i have, the way blogger did...sad.) as for what your dream is/should be -- can't help you there. =/ good luck!
lol! No, I didn't create a new blogger site. This is one I've had; just re-vamped it a little. :) Like the tagline? hehe Thanks for the encouragement, friend!
i do like the tagline. i literally laughed out loud the first time i read it. matt even came over to see what was so funny. (and then he makes fun of me for blogging. =) you should follow us!
ps. 1977? we had to sit for a minute and figure out how old you were. and then we decided that was okay. you can be a decade older than i am; i'm alright with that. =)
Yeah, I get it. I'm old. lol Super glad you laughed at the tagline! Meagan high-fived me for it. hehe
And consider yourself followed! :)
Post a Comment